Monday, September 9, 2013

Immersion

This past Wednesday I witnessed a new friend who I sense will become a very dear friend get baptized. Yesterday I watched an iphone video of my brother in law getting baptized. It reminded me of what a married couple must feel like when they attend a wedding and witness the vows they once made being remade by two new hearts. Watching her stand there, folding one arm over her chest and preparing to hold her breath with her other hand as she joyously proclaimed love over her heart and life, Jesus as her guide and map, I did the same. I remade my vow as I remembered the dance that God and I once shared in the water together nine years ago.

As I continue the journey I look forward to another nine years (and then some) and end on this notion: baptism isn't a one-time occurrence. The action is, of course, but the intent is a choice we make every single day just as love and forgiveness are- Wednesday brought me this understanding. I haven't been intentional about that choice in my past but just as I did nine years ago, I choose today to follow my guide and my map, my God, for there is no other fount I know as I find myself standing on His promises again and again and again.


No comments:

Post a Comment